Friday 13 January 2012

The A Challenge!

These 100 Word Challenges really suck you in, don't they?

The number of times I've thought - NO, I need to GET ON with other stuff, but then I go for just a sneaky look at what Yer One has decreed for this week, and that's it - whether I like it or not, my brain starts ticking away...

If, dear Reader, you aren't into the 100 Word Challenge, it's never too late! - OR, possibly, you may want to skip to my 'ordinary' post, The Pheasant and the Hypocrite

This week our scant 100 words had to contain the following: aghast, after, aeroplane, aquamarine and acted.
I'm sorry to tell you I have cheated on one of them by changing the tense. I have used the word acting instead.

Here is my entry:


It’s a hot, sultry day, the sky molten, the sea aquamarine, transluscent. We’re sitting on the abandoned beach trying to remember, piece things together - the moments after the aeroplane appeared - when a man bursts out from amongst the palm trees, his arms waving, his face aghast. ‘What happened?’ he cries, ‘please tell me!’ So, acting on impulse, I begin: 'It’s a hot, sultry day, the sky molten, the sea aquamarine, transluscent. We’re sitting on the abandoned beach trying to remember, piece things together – the sequence after the aeroplane appeared - when a man bursts out from amongst the palm trees, his arms waving...’






9 comments:

  1. I suddenly thought of an old biscuit tin we used to have at home. It had originally contained Scots shortbread and the lid had a picture of a girl holding the tin up - which of course showed the girl holding the tin up - which showed the girl... I used to look at it for hours, I was fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I wanted to do - no real specifics, but just something that could go round and round indefinitely without answering any questions. I'm glad it made you think of your old biscuit tin! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I feel quite dizzy reading this one! It reminds me a bit of a Doctor Who episode where time gets messed up and keeps repeating the same loop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the kind of pictures Singlemun described. Somehow it's a little more frustrating in story form. Probably because I always want to know what's happening when the story seems exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a circle going round, no beginning or end.
    Like your approach :) Well written

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like the Shepard Glissando ... well done m'Dear...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeNUO2mg_vE&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for ur comments on my class blog (classash.primaryblogger.co.uk) r u on twitter? Also thnx for comments on my blg. Much appreciated :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such fun & so clever! It is definitely a Ground Hog day!You're forgiven for the change of tense! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good! I have just found another challenge too. Like you, I love them.

    ReplyDelete

Ah, go on! Make my day - leave a comment!