Wednesday 25 January 2012

The Gift Challenge

The 100 Word Challenge (the original one that is, for children under 16) is always looking for more helpers to comment on the kids' weekly entries. If you would be interested in doing this - it's fun, and not a major commitment every week - please contact Julia



                                 '...you bought her what...'


Wisteria - what a lovely present!



‘You bought her what?’
‘A Makita drill. A two-pack. With a charger.’
‘For her birthday? Have you gone completely mad? After all those hints she was dropping? All those ideas she gave you! Rose plants! Wisteria! Something about fancying some hens – Plymouth Rocks, wasn’t it? And a list of books as long as your arm! Not to mention chair-cushions and martini glasses for the sun-downers in the garden. And if you wanted something practical, what about those veggie seedlings she mentioned?’
‘Yeah, well if she wants a pergola, a hen-coop, a summer-house, a cold-frame and bookshelves, she’s going to need a drill, isn’t she?’

 


New Dawn roses - another lovely present!

14 comments:

  1. I loved this.
    A man after my own heart - what a great present 'Makita drill, two pack & charger' Wow! What else could any woman want?
    Mind you I'd never buy my wife one - I'm not that daft.
    Thanks for a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great closing line, too! Wonderful writing, wonderful concept :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh a lot. Don't you just love men's ideas of the perfect present?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha we have encountered similar people! New Dawn is my favourite rose by the way,she gives so much colour and fragrance.
    Lucid gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, thinking like a man, right into action. Nice piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your blog! i used to have one on blogspot but i switched to wordpress last year. I saw your story for the 100 word challenge (which i just joined yesterday). i loved your story and your sense of humor. You are funny! I see you are from the west coast of Ireland. My mom's great grandparents and great-great grandparents all came from county Cork. My husband's grandma came over to the US from county Mayo all by herself when she was 13. I look forward to following your blog. I have no idea about things RSS etc...Kate Kresse [http://believeanyway.wordpress.com]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog. I created an award in December to bring recognition to blogs and bloggers who try to light up the world in the face of negativity. I call it The Candle Lighter Award. Your blog sure fits that description. Here is the link for the info about the award. http://believeanyway.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/creation-of-new-blog-award-the-candle-lighter-award/
    You are free to pass the award to whoever you think fits the description. Just use my link to tell them the history of the award. If blogspot lets you do it, you can copy the candle lighter badge from my right sidebar and put it on your blog. You can also go to the Candle Lighter Award button on my header and see multiple lists of some of the people who have received the award. There is a lot of positive in the world.Keep writing---and i love your photos and knitting, too.---Kate Kresse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha - this one made me laugh! Those roses are lovely =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose it could have been worse. A frying pan or an iron. Personally, I know what I'd have done with the drill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't fault his logic. I hope he's going to build all those things for her using the drill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOO! What a frustrating reply - damn him! Of course in theory he is right that those on her list would require those on his! Brilliant writing & such a clever thought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, I know what I would do with that drill. Maybe he will get the other things too.. well observed piece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha. I enjoyed this piece very much! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ah, go on! Make my day - leave a comment!